Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pureed Vegetable - Parsnip, HTCE p243


Parsnips has a strong, nutty, earthy flavor and is one of my favorite winter vegetables. The book only offers up pureed vegetable as a guideline, indicating several vegetable that can be pureed. I had actually made a large batch of roasted parsnips in the oven (peel and toss with olive oil and salt, roast in 350 degree oven about 45 minutes), and had leftovers. Several days later, I decided to make soup.

Modifying the puree recipe is easy, just add some stock - approximately enough liquid to cover the parsnips in a blender. Although I can't quite tell how many parsnips were used, or how much water, the blender showed about 4 cups total. You can also adjust the liquid based on the consistency. To finish the soup, I sauteed shallots and sliced salami (*I know, I didn't have prosciutto on hand) and added it after plating. It was perfect for the cold weather, hearty and good for you at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment