Monday, February 2, 2009

Traditional Pesto-HTCEV, p. 768

There's really no excuse for breaking the food processor while making pesto. There really isn't. We're talking basil, garlic, oil, and pine nuts, people!

I have used electric appliances before and I know not to stick things into a moving blade. I know this. I know that I should always show a certain amount of respect to electric appliances. I don't stick forks into toasters; I don't throw blow dryers into baths; I don't stick my fingers into my three-speed Kitchen Aid hand mixer. So why, why, why did I ever feel the need to stick a silicone spatula into the bowl of a Cuisinart as the blades were running at top speed?

I guess I don't have to tell you about the decapitated spatula and the broken processor bowl. But I will tell you that the sprayed pesto on the backsplash was quite stunning. I wonder if Jackson Pollack ever thought about using pesto in a drip painting? Perhaps if Mark Bittman revises HTCEV, he'll add a footnote about pesto and its unique artistic qualities. 

Thank goodness, Monique, the owner of the Cuisinart, took it all in stride and didn't bat an eye (Thank you Monique!). And Doris made a point to say how good the pesto was (as she picked little pieces of plastic out of her teeth). So, all was not lost. The pesto was delicious—although next time, I will use the mortar and pestle as Bittman suggests in the first paragraph.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, this posting is HILARIOUS. Seriously, I laughed out loud when I was reading it. I do have to say, the pesto was quite tasty and there were no plastic bits stuck in my teeth. I think you did a great job with the pesto, despite the unfortunate death of Monique's food processor... She did seem quite pleased at the opportunity to shop for a new food processor though

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pesto is great, I just had some tonight on steamed cauliflower. After seeing how quiet your kitchenaid model operates, I've "upgraded" and am waiting for the 9-cup kitchenaid food processor to arrive.

    ReplyDelete